The Carrington-Philbert Scholarship is an initiative established by Malcolm Carrington and Sherwin Bridgewater in memory of their grandparents. who instilled insurmountable values of education, knowledge, excellence, integrity, honor, and dedication to service.
The Carrington-Philbert scholarship fund provides financial assistance of a one-time offer of $2,500 to qualified applicants pursuing academic excellence.
Aside from the scholarship award, the CPS team also provides coaching and mentoring to ensure that all participants have a seamless, memorable, and enjoyable transition to college.
Types of Carrington-Philbert Scholarship
There are two major types of Carrington-Philbert scholarships available. Each with its own eligibility rules, application requirements, method of application, and the deadline for submission. I have listed all the information you need to know about these two scholarships below. They are:
- African-American U.S Undergraduate Awards
- University of the West Indies Undergraduate Awards
African-American U.S Undergraduate Awards
This Carrington-Philbert scholarship grants awards to undergraduate African-American students that gain admission into a U.S college. It pays the scholarship award of a one-time $2,500 in the month of September.
To be duly qualified for this Carrington-Philbert scholarship, applicants must:
- Be African-American
- Apply and gain admission into a U.S. two (2)-year community college or four (4)-year college
- Reside in the U.S.
- Eligible applicants must submit a letter of recommendation from their teacher, principal, or counselor along with the application.
- Submit a copy of their high-school transcript
- Apply with a headshot photograph
- Complete an Essay (250 – 500) words addressing the following: What has been the driving force for you to pursue higher education? What are your passions and how do you plan to ensure you follow them?
How to apply
All scholarship applicants for this category must submit all necessary credentials no later than May 1st. Late application submission will disqualify a candidate.
Note that winners will have to provide proof of enrollment by August 31st.
University of the West Indies Undergraduate Awards
In this scholarship, The Carrington-Philbert Scholarship program awards a minimum one-time scholarship of $2,500 to a University freshman in his or her 1st year of entering the University of the West Indies (UWI). The winner will receive the scholarship award in the month of November.
To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a citizen or resident of Trinidad and Tobago
- Applicants must apply and gain admission into one of the three (3) UWI campuses
Requirements for getting the University of the West Indies Undergraduate Awards are the same as African-American U.S Undergraduate Awards. To reiterate, you’ll need:
- A Letter of recommendation from your teacher, principal, or counselor along with the application.
- A copy of your year one CAPE transcript
- A headshot photograph
- An Essay writing (250–500) words addressing the following: What has been the driving force for you to pursue higher education? What are your passions and how do you plan to ensure you follow them?
How to apply
All applicants for the University of the West Indies Undergraduate Awards must complete and upload all application requirements here. Alternatively, you can download the application form and email it along with all credentials to [email protected].
You must submit your application no later than September 30th. Submitting a late application will automatically disqualify you.
Note that winners will be required to provide proof of enrollment by September 30th. If you have questions, direct them to: [email protected] .
The Carrington-Philbert Scholarship Committee reviews all applications in both the African-American U.S Undergraduate Awards and the University of the West Indies Undergraduate Awards and selects the most qualified applicants, respectively. The committee uses a transparent process and adheres to the strictest codes of confidentiality and ethics. As soon as the successful candidates have been selected, they are notified of the award date and location.
If you wish to apply, you have all the information you need at your fingertips. All the best!
Originally posted 2023-03-10 16:12:29.