Amount: Full Cost of attendance
Scope (Full or Partial): Full
Number of awards: 1
Target Country: United States
Target Audience: Latinx and Hispanic students
Deadline: January 11
In the realm of higher education, full-ride scholarships play a pivotal role in enabling students to pursue their dreams. Among the many prestigious scholarships available, the Charles Scholarship at Davidson College stands out as a remarkable opportunity for aspiring leaders. In this article, we will explore details about the Charles Scholarship, its benefits, eligibility criteria, and how to apply. That said, let’s dive into this scholarship opportunity.
About Charles Scholarship
The Charles Scholarship is a highly coveted scholarship established at Davidson College, a renowned liberal arts college in Davidson, North Carolina. Davidson is a small institution that offers scholarships annually to approximately 5% of an incoming class. Each year, about 530 students enroll in this college but only one outstanding first-year student receives the Charles Scholarship award. This scholarship program targets students from under-represented groups, particularly Latinx and Hispanic students. These students must be graduates of Chicago public and charter high schools with strong records of academic and personal accomplishment.
The Charles Scholarship is a merit-based full-ride scholarship. This type of scholarship typically considers students who perform exceptionally well in school through their great GPA, class rank, AP/honors classes, and perfect or near-perfect SAT or ACT scores. Merit-based scholarships may also look at other things like leadership and involvement in activities outside of school.
The Charles Scholarship covers the entire cost of attendance of undergraduate studies at Davidson. It is renewable under the condition that scholars maintain established grade point averages while pursuing degree requirements. Recipients must also involve themselves fully in college activities.
Benefits of the Charles Scholarship
The Charles Scholarship offers great benefits for its scholars. They include:
- Full cost of attendance: The Charles scholarship covers tuition, fees, room and board, books, annual travel allowance, and personal expense allowance. Additionally, the scholarship also provides funding for research projects, study abroad experiences, and professional development opportunities.
- Mentorship and Support: Charles Scholars receive personalized mentorship from faculty members, alumni, and professionals in their chosen fields. This guidance helps them navigate their academic journey, explore research interests, and build a strong foundation for their future careers.
- Engaging Community: The Charles Scholarship fosters a vibrant and inclusive community of scholars who collaborate, learn from each other’s experiences, and engage in intellectual discourse. The camaraderie creates a supportive environment where students can thrive academically and personally.
The Charles scholarship is a highly competitive scholarship. It is pertinent that you consider the following requirements to ascertain your eligibility:
- Recipients must have an outstanding record of academic achievement, personal accomplishment, and leadership ability.
- The scholarship prefers traditionally under-represented students, particularly Latinx and Hispanic students.
- Must be graduates of Chicago public and charter high schools.
- Applicants must display financial need through the Federal Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA)
- Home-schooled applicants and candidates applying from non-traditional schools are recommended to submit either ACT or SAT test results, though they are not required.
How to Apply?
To get the Charles scholarship, you must follow the following important steps:
- Nomination: Charles Scholarship gives awards to its recipients based on nomination. School counselors, principals/heads of schools, or college access program leadership may nominate up to three candidates. Candidates may also get nominations through the Davidson Admission Committee on the basis of their strong application for admission. Counselors must include a letter of recommendation and submit nomination applications no later than December 15
- Application for Admission: The Charles scholarship does not require a separate application. This scholarship gives awards based on the strength of your admission application. The scholarship committee reviews all applications thoroughly to determine the potential of each student. All nominees must submit all application materials by the regular decision deadline of January 11.
- December 15- School nominations due.
- January 11- Application for admission and FAFSA due.
- March- Charles Scholars receive notification of their award.
At Scholarship Monitor, we are committed to providing you with up-to-date information on scholarship opportunities. Make sure to always check back for more updates and take advantage of the resources we have provided to help you achieve your academic and career goals.