Amount: $25,000, $15,000, or $10,000
Scope: Partial scholarship
Target Country: United States
Target Audience: International freshmen or transfer students
Deadline: November 1, 2023 (early action)
The University of Minnesota’s Global Excellence Scholarship (GES) is a merit-based award given to outstanding international freshmen and transfer students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree program on an F-1 visa. The scholarship automatically considers all eligible students who have been admitted to the University of Minnesota during the fall semester.
International freshmen may receive scholarship awards worth $25,000, $15,000, or $10,000 per year for up to four years of study. Transfer students may receive $10,000 per year for up to three years when entering the University in the fall semester. Transfer students entering in the spring semester will only be considered for this scholarship on a funds-available basis.
Eligibility requirements of the Global Excellence Scholarship (GES)
To be eligible for the Global Excellence Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be international freshmen and transfer students that are not from the United States
- Be among the best in their high school class preferably in the top 15 to 20% of graduating class.
- Show a record of very strong academic preparation through high school records like grade point average, coursework, etc
- Maintain full-time enrollment of at least 13 credits per semester.
- Gain admission at the fall semester of the applied program.
- Be studying at the University of Minnesota pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in any field of study
- Be an international or transfer student on an F-1 visa. Students must maintain F-1 status to continue to receive their GES awards.
- Maintain consecutive terms of enrollment.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress as required by the University. (See here)
All admitted international freshmen and transfer students are automatically considered for the Global Excellence Scholarship through an overall review of their admission application into the University of Minnesota. There is no separate scholarship application available, and all awards are given at the time of admission. Continuing students who were not initially awarded the scholarship are not eligible for the award.
Applicants must complete an online application and several short essays. The University of Minnesota accepts applications through the Golden Gopher or the Common Application. Applicants are advised to submit only one application as a double submission may hinder their admission decision.
- Early Action I Deadline: November 1, 2023
- Early Action II Deadline: December 1, 2023
- Regular Deadline: January 1, 2024
|Deadline Category||Date||Admission decision on Application Tracker|
|Early Action I Deadline||November 1||January 31|
|Early Action II Deadline||December 1||February 15|
|Regular Deadline||January 1||March 15|
The scholarship application deadline is the same as the admission application deadline. Admission decisions for Early Action I applicants will be released on January 31, 2024. Early Action II applicants will receive their admission decision on February 15, 2024, and Regular Decision applicants will receive their decision on March 15, 2024.
At Scholarship Monitor, we are committed to providing you with up-to-date information on scholarship opportunities. Make sure to always check back for more updates and take advantage of the resources we have provided to help you achieve your academic and career goals.
Originally posted 2023-04-24 12:01:09.