Amount: Averagely $10,009
Scope (Full or Partial): Partial
Number of awards: 60
Target Country: United States
Target Audience: Military Veteran and spouses
Deadline: February 2024
The Tillman Military Scholarship honors veterans by covering full tuition and fees for their education. Established in 2004, this scholarship helps active-duty service members, veterans, and military spouses pursue their academic goals.
This article will provide details on the Tillman Scholarship, including the award amount, eligibility requirements, application process, and deadline. We’ll also discuss the history of this scholarship and its origins with Pat Tillman. The goal is to clarify exactly what the Tillman Military Scholarship entails for those interested in applying.
What is the Patt Tillman Scholar Award?
The Patt Tillman Foundation founded the Tillman Scholar Award in 2004. This scholarship award is sponsored in collaboration with some partner organizations. The foundation specially made this scholarship for remarkable undergraduate or graduate students who are:
- Veterans and active duty military service members from all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces including the National Guard have served in both pre-and post-9/11 eras.
- Current Spouses of veteran or active service members, including surviving spouses
The mission of the Foundation is to unite and empower military service members, veterans, and spouses, as the next generation of great leaders in the public and private sectors. This prestigious scholarship gives awards to about 60 scholars annually. From its inception till date, the Tillman’s Foundation has invested over $34 million in awards to over 850 scholars in about 166 schools and counting.
Tillman Scholarship Amount and Benefits
The Tillman Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship. The average amount of scholarship awarded to a Tillman Scholar is around $10,000 per academic year. This award can cover educational expenses which include tuition and fees, books, and living expenses.
In addition to the financial aid, the Tillman scholarship also receives other special benefits. They gain access to a broad and diverse network of high-performing peers, mentors, and industry leaders that will help them succeed in their educational journey. They also get lifelong leadership development through the opportunities they receive to advance their knowledge, skills, and experience.
Tillman Scholarship Requirements
Eligible applicants for the Tillman scholarship must meet the following requirements in order to be considered:
- Applicants must plan on being enrolled full-time in an undergraduate (Bachelor’s or above), graduate, or professional degree program at any United States accredited institution or college or a university-partnered institution.
- Strong applicants need to demonstrate clear academic goals, extraordinary leadership potential, and a deep desire to create positive change in society.
- Tillman Scholars must display attributes of service, scholarship, humble leadership, and impact.
- Tillman scholars are expected to have a proven track record of dedication and perseverance
Tillman scholarships are renewable. But the scholarship will only be renewed if the applicants stick to the following conditions:
Applicants must meet the expected graduation date
- Must show proof of being a full-time student status
- Must earn and maintain a minimum of 3.0 GPA
- Must adequately with the Tillman Scholar community
- Must provide pieces of evidence to show participation in service
- Must demonstrate accountability for the use of scholarship funds
Tillman Scholarship Application
To apply for the Tillman Scholarship, applicants need to submit the following:
- Current resume
- Two 400-word essay questions
- Character recommendation from a third party through the scholarship’s application tool
- A 250-word biography
- FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and a financial worksheet that includes the current budget of all expenses and incomes for households, including all military benefits.
- Student Aid Report (SAR) generated through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Two photos from military service or with their spouse who is/was in the military
- Proof of Military Service: most recent DD 214 (Member 4 preferred), Officer Record Brief, Enlistment Record Brief, Basic Individual Record, Personal Data Record, Performance Summary Record, or Report on Individual Personnel, Employee Summary Sheet, Single Unit Retrieval Format
All interested applicants must submit these essential documents when the application window opens for another session.
The 2023/2024 application session will open from November 1, 2023, to February 1, 2024. All applicants must submit the required documents before the specified deadline through the Foundation website.
These application tips culminated from advices given by past Tillman scholars. These effective tips could help you send in a successful application for the scholarship:
- Study the number of Tillman Scholar biographies on the PTF website and get insight into the characteristics of Tillman scholars. As you learn about their passion and life stories, it will help you resonate and find your own voice in your application.
- Consider getting a recommender that knows you as a whole person, instead of just your role in the military. Give your recommender enough advance notice and provide him or her with the needed information about the Scholarship Foundation
- Revise your scholarship essay repeatedly. Ask for help from friends and qualified people to spot mistakes and edit accordingly.
- Put your heart into your application. Let your passion, grit, and determination be conspicuous through your scholarship application.
- Make a list of 10 people and ask them specific questions about your personality including specific examples of your leadership and potential for impact
- Essays give an opportunity for you to highlight why you are qualified to be a Tillman Scholar. You need to tell a compelling and captivating story that aligns with service, scholarship, humble leadership, and impact.
The selection process for the Patt Tillman Military Scholarship is rigorous, but the rewards far outweigh all the hard work. These scholarships provide an excellent opportunity for military veterans and their spouses to succeed in their academic goals and aspirations without worrying about financial hassles. This article has broken down the different details that you need to know about this unique scholarship opportunity. To your success!