George snow scholarship Fund is a non-profit organization in Boca Raton, Florida.
Since its inception in 1982, the fund has given out over $18,000,000 to about 2609 scholars. Currently, 526 George Snow scholars are enrolled in college, and about $2,100,000 in awards have been given to 234 Snow scholars in the current year. With a graduation rate of over 90% against the national rate of 45.8%, surely, this scholarship fund surely deserves your attention.
Before we consider the application requirements, though, let me first give you some background about the scholarship as this can have implications on your ability to compose a winning application.
Who is George Snow?
George Snow scholarship Fund was established in 1982 as a commemoration of George Snow, who was a Boca Raton developer, but unfortunately lost his life in a helicopter accident.
He was known as a philanthropist who held education in high esteem. During his lifetime, he was active in helping people advance their self development.
These personal ideals shaped the mission of the George Snow Scholarship Fund.
Mission of George Snow scholarship
The goal of this scholarship is to help hardworking, but financially disadvantaged students in South Florida get quality education.
Describing their mission, the foundation states:
“The George Snow Scholarship Fund stands in support of anyone who has ever endured racial inequality. We firmly believe that no one should be treated unfairly based on the color of their skin”.
Now we have established the objective of this scholarship, let’s take a look at the application requirements.
George snow scholarship requirements
George Snow Scholarship Fund offers a wide variety of scholarships, each with their own requirements for eligibility.
However, the most common scholarships are offered to:
- High school seniors attending school in Palm Beach County.
- Select Broward County schools (Blanche Ely High School or Pompano Beach High School).
- Home schooled students living in Palm Beach County or home schooled students that would be attending high school at Blanche Ely High School or Pompano Beach High School
- Applicants who demonstrate financial need, motivation to do their best and desire to help themselves/others.
List of available George Snow scholarships
High school scholarships
These are renewable 4-year scholarships mainly for high school seniors.
Every year, representatives from George Snow Fund pay visits to eligible schools to educate the students on the available scholarships and the requirements that are needed to apply and be accepted.
Virtual visits are currently being scheduled for the 2022/2023 scholarships.
To qualify for this scholarship, applicants are required to;
- Be a high school senior
- Must attend a Palm Beach County High School, Blanche Ely High School, or Pompano Beach High School
- Must have financial need
Note that no GPA and test scores are required to apply and students can major in any subject and apply in any accredited University, College or Vocation.
Palm health Foundation scholarships
The Palm health Foundation scholarships target graduate and undergraduate students pursuing careers in Nursing or Behavioral/Mental health.
Each of these scholarships have their own eligibility requirements.
Nursing scholarship eligibility criteria
- Student must be attending one of the following schools: Palm Beach County, Florida Atlantic University, Keiser University, West Palm Beach Campus, Nova Southeastern University, Palm Beach Gardens Campus, Palm Beach State College, Palm Beach Atlantic University, South University, or West Palm Beach Campus
- Undergraduate students must maintain GPA of 2.5 and graduate students must maintain 3.0 GPA
- Candidates must either be residents of Palm Beach County, Broward County or Martin County.
- You must exhibit financial need.
- You must enroll and be accepted into a nursing program by April 1, 2022.
- You must be enrolled for Fall 2022 classes.
- All graduates who apply for the Graduate Nursing scholarships must have at least a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
Behavioral Health/Mental Health scholarship eligibility criteria
- Students must already be enrolled in one of these schools: Florida Atlantic University, Palm Beach Atlantic University, Lynn University, Barry University, Palm Beach County location South University, West Pam Beach Campus, Keiser University,or West Pam Beach Campus.
- Students must be a resident of Palm Beach County, Broward County or Martin County.
- Applicants must exhibit financial need.
- Applicants must be enrolled for Fall 2022 classes
- Undergraduate applicants must be either a Junior or Senior seeking a degree in one of the following majors: Social Work, Psychology and Behavioral Health
- Graduate applicants must be seeking a Master’s or Doctoral Degree in one of the following field of study: Psychology, Counseling or Social Work
Door of opportunity scholarships
This scholarship is funded by the Esler Companies and administered by the George Snow Scholarship Fund.
All applications are kept confidential and carefully evaluated by the George Snow Scholarship Fund committee.
Only students from the following regions are qualified to apply: Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, Greater Philadelphia, Road Island, Central Texas and North Texas.
Note that the scholarship is awarded on a one time basis and disbursed throughout the students’ academic years.
- All employees of the Esler Companies and their dependents are not eligible for this scholarship
- No minimum GPA is required.
- Must have financial need.
- Must be a high school senior from a qualifying region mentioned above.
- Can attend any accredited school college, university, technical or vocational school
Additional information: Applicants selected to interview for the Door of Opportunity scholarship are required to substantiate their application with their high school transcripts, financial aid award letters and tax returns before the interview date.
Applicants must also provide a copy of Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It must be completed and submitted in advance.
Note: Students whose citizenship status prevents the submission of FAFSA can be considered.
In a sincere effort to better serve all scholarship recipients, George Snow scholarship Fund in conjunction with their Alumni network provides Graduate scholarships to enable Snow scholars pursue advanced degrees.
- Applicants must have been a former recipient of the scholarship program for high school seniors in PBC and Broward.
- Must also have already been accepted into or currently enrolled in a graduate program.
George Snow Scholarship Amount
While amounts vary depending on scholarship type, the typical award in 2021 was $10,433.00.
George snow scholarship application Process
- High school transcript
- Student aid reports
- Family tax returns
- A current resume
- An essay
- A recommendation letter from either an employer, professor/academic advisor or community leader.
- Financial Aid Award letter from your graduate program if applying for Graduate scholarships
How to apply?
You can apply for any of these scholarships through the George Snow scholarship website, under the scholarship tab.
Yearly scholarship applications open on Nov 1st and closes on February 11:59pm of the next year.
- The Scholarship Selection Committee evaluates all forwarded applications.
- Applicants are given ranks based on their performance by the Selection Committee members and these ranks are further reviewed in the office of George Snow Scholarship Fund.
- Selected students are invited for an interview through email and after the interview, each student is graded.
- A separate committee gathers all necessary information of the student like the ones mentioned above and a Financial Need analysis is performed
- Scholarships are given after consideration of the financial need of the student as well as his or her eligibility.
Originally posted 2022-10-26 20:59:33.